Vista Home Premium - 32 or 64bit?

villageidiot 15:33 18 Feb 2007

I have an Athlon 64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2 motherboard, HANNS-G HX191DP monitor, wireless KB & Mouse, Epson Stylus CX3600 printer, on XP Media Centre Edition, with an Upgrade Redemption Form.

Upgrading to Vista Home Premium, should I go for the 32bit version, or the 64bit? (XP MCE is only supplied as 32bit)

1. I cannot find any advice on Microsoft website, or by doing a compatibility check
2. Will 64bit have any advantage over 32bit?
3. I have read that drivers might be a problem for 64bit OS.
4. The Microsoft website on upgrading from 32bit XP to 64bit Vista (click here) makes no sense to me. It seems to say this cannot be done; then it seems to explain how to do it.
5. The redemption website appears to offer only the 32bit version. Has anyone ordered the 64bit version via the redemption website? If so, where was the link to the 64bit version?

anskyber 15:47 18 Feb 2007

"Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license."

My reading of that is you cannot do an upgrade in place which allows all your settings and programs to be saved in situ. You can do a "clean install" (of a type) which "replaces" the XP 32 bit with Vista 64bit but all your files etc will be gone.

The general view of many is that there is so little about at the moment in terms of 64bit drivers and so on that 64bit installs are potentially hazardous and should be avoided.

[email protected] 01:00 23 Feb 2007

i have a 64 3500 when i bought my vista they told me i would have to order the 64 bit version, as there had been no interest in it, that put me off so i got the 32 bit version, as i had the 32 bit xp also

crosstrainer 08:25 23 Feb 2007

few people are taking on the 64 bit version, as driver and software support is very very limited. Even with the 32 bit OS, driver issues are rife. I have another machine with a dual core fx in it, and will be waiting until all driver issues are resolved before moving away from XP. This machine also has a 54 bit cpu but single core... am using it as a Vista test rig, and it contains no critical data. Still have sli driver issues, printer driver "coming soon" according to lexmark.. so best advice is go with the 32 bit version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?