vista home premium

User-8B86FCF1-61CC-4B2E-83B05A9B2231D5C3 19:29 10 Feb 2007

Hi, All,
just got a new laptop with Vista home premium pre-installed,& have just started to set a few things up like folder options etc etc but have now come to a complete stop & was wondering if anyone can help me to over come this problem please,ive just gone into organize/folder & search options/view & un-checked show hidden files and folders,also hide extentions for known file types and hide protected operating system files (recommended)
(i have these un-checked on my other computers running xp as well)
now the problem being now is that when im in windows explorer & i try & open, lets say history or temporary internet files i get a message saying
c:\users\abb\appdata\local\historyi s not accessible
Access is denied.
now i can get to these files in xp etc & do what i want with the files etc & those are not the only folder either..
so can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of over coming this problem (i am the only user & it is set to me being admin)
any advice on this would be great please as ive had a look around the help etc & on the web but no good....thank you
Abb

BurrWalnut 20:11 10 Feb 2007

It's because those folders (History and Temp Int Files) are junctions, i.e they are there for historical reasons so that old programs that would normally use them are redirected to the correct locations. Have a look at \users\abb\appdata\local\microsoft\windows for your two folders.

Junctions can be recognised by having a little curly up arrow just like a shortcut.

thank you BurrWalnut, for that,lots of new things in vista to learn it seems & lots of things with the wow factor,
But thank you again...
Abb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone