Vista, and hardware changes

morris948 18:21 15 Dec 2007

Hi. I am considering loading a clean install of vista to my PC, i take it this means paying more for the full version.

Mp PC is a home built system with removable hard drive bay, i do it this way because i can easily change OS by plugging in the appropriate hard drive, ( Win 98 and Win XP)

My question is with Vista,as it seems to be so secure for piracy, how much can it tolerate hardware changes? what if i upgraded my motherboard, would it detect this and not run anymore , would vista think that i am using another computer?

Does anyone know what hardware changes are allowed, before it accuses you of piracy!

Totally-braindead 19:19 15 Dec 2007

The main one is the motherboard but I think it is like XP in that if it detects a certain amount of hardware changes within a specific time then it might need revalidated.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 21:36 15 Dec 2007

i had to reactivate by phone when i changed my hdds and my motherboard and had to explain why i was reactivating and had to assure them it was only on 1 pc, so it was reactivated twice once for motherboard and later for hard disks. i changed everything else with the need to do this. this was on home premium retail with ultimate anytime upgrade, i think this was the problem as although i had retail HP the upgrade is tied to the pc. hope this helps.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 21:37 15 Dec 2007

" i changed everything else with the need to do this" should read : i changed everything else with NO need.

morris948 10:09 16 Dec 2007

Thanks for your responses so far, i happen to come across some earlier threads in this forum about this issue, as to what constitutes computer hardware in terms that the software understands, the Forum editor commented that:-
"As far as the OEM license is concerned Vista is the same as all other Windows versions - the licence dies with the machine on which Vista was first installed, and in this context Microsoft defines a computer as being the motherboard - change that, and your OEM licence is no longer valid."

I would be interested to know that if the Motherboard is indeed "The computer" then would Microsoft thought of flashing the licence on the BIOS rom of the motherboard.

In adman 2's case, you were able to validate your changes by reactivating, but if you had the full retail version without any upgrading, it would have worked without any interventions, is this what you are saying.

I am probably unduly paranoid about all this, it's because i am one of those tinkerers that like experimenting with hardware, and if i hash something up, i dont want to invalidate my software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?