Vista hangs on startup with external HD attached

Andanotherthing 12:58 10 Sep 2007

I have recently added a Western Digital 'My Book' 500Gb external hard drive which I have reformated to NTFS. The drive is working fine and I can save and retrieve from it. However, on booting up Vista (Home Premium) hangs until I unplug the usb to the hard drive and then it continues to boot fine. Is it the size of the hard drive?

A-Nonymous 13:47 10 Sep 2007

It may be something that Vista isnt recognising properly at bootup.

Have you tried booting with it on XP?

ventanas 14:01 10 Sep 2007

Mine does the same, and always has. I don't know what causes it, but do know that we are far from being alone with this problem. The bios check fails to complete.

Just make sure it's switched off when you start up (if it does not have a switch unplug it from the mains) and turn it on when the machine has booted. That's all I do and it is only a very minor niggle.

ventanas 14:01 10 Sep 2007

Mine does the same, and always has. I don't know what causes it, but do know that we are far from being alone with this problem. The bios check fails to complete.

Just make sure it's switched off when you start up (if it does not have a switch unplug it from the mains) and turn it on when the machine has booted. That's all I do and it is only a very minor niggle.

ventanas 14:02 10 Sep 2007

Sorry, screen froze and I pressed the button again.

Andanotherthing 14:26 10 Sep 2007

Thanks both. Not got XP on this machine so can't try booting in it. I suspect that if I partition the drive into smaller pieces it will be ok as it used to boot up fine with a 320GB drive (now defunct Lacie.

Glad to know it is not just me!

ventanas 14:35 10 Sep 2007

Not sure about that, my drive is 120Gb. It is actually a normal internal drive fitted into a caddy.

fishface113 20:12 15 Sep 2007

On most modern PC systems the bios will allow a boot from usb devices. Simply remove anything that you do not wish to boot from. eg floppy disk/cd/scsi/any other device. As a bonus it will also inprove your boot speed.

I have a western digital external 250gb drive, and it used to do the same.

John_G2U 13:13 01 Oct 2007

I have experienced the same issues on at least 3 machines in the last month. It is definitely not a boot issue, because the bios POST does not even complete the memory test before freezing. It looks more like some kind of IRQ problem, but I am yet to see a conclusive fix.

lachakhs 08:38 02 Oct 2007

Just try updating your BIOS and chipset drivers. If still the problem persist try to run the startup repair 2 or 3 times and check.

TheTron 18:50 22 Oct 2007

I had the same problem myself, disable USB legacy support in Bios.
It will do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?