Vista Freezing When Browsing

dogbreath1 17:22 13 Oct 2007

Have previously posted this in the Helproom but with no joy.

Perhaps there may be a Vista bod on here who has a possible solution.

A new machine running Vista Home Premium freezes (becomes unresponsive) ONLY when browsing web pages.

The machine is connected wirelessly via a DLink DWL G122 USB adapter to a Voyager 2000 router (itself connected by ethernet cable to a PC running XP SP2).

A second XP machine connects wirelessly to the Voyager.

Any ideas please??

what virus software are you running i had this problem with mine and when i removed the virus software the problem stoped

Forum Editor 09:11 14 Oct 2007

that the operating system locks up entirely, or just that Internet Explorer freezes?

If it's IE, I agree with tonytigertony - your anti-virus software might be implicated.

dogbreath1 09:18 14 Oct 2007

Thanks for the response, Tony.

The machine has AVG Free installed.

However, yesterday I came across a site which recommended a change to Power settings.

click here

The advice by spaceman5 regarding changing this setting from Balanced to High Performance was tried and the machine has not frozen since.

Clearly this fix won't work for everyone, but at least it's an avenue to investigate.

Vista, sadly, is a joke in it's current form. In fact, in the October 2007 edition of PCAnswers, Editor Simon Pickstock commented, "I've recently taken the step of reverting to XP on my PC because I'm having too many problems with Microsoft's wonder OS. A service pack is rumoured to arrive this year, but until it does I think Vista is too unstable for serious use."

Not good, is it?!

dogbreath1 09:20 14 Oct 2007

Morning, FE. The browsing is in Opera. The symptoms were screen frozen, totally unresponsive. Only option being a reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?