Vista freezes for up to 60 seconds

perryhatesvista 14:53 07 Aug 2008

hi all, I recently purchased a Dell inspiron 530,Core 2 Quad processor, 3 gig ram, running Windows Vista Home Premium,and loaded office and a couple of other programs succesfully. However,when using word, spreadsheets and internet I'm experiencing freezing 3 to 4 times a day - the freeze lasts for up 60 seconds and ony certain windows will freeze not all. It's particularly bad when "saving as" and changing the file type when you click "ok" it freezes. Even the task manger has frozen when clicking ok to end task.

Dell support said that disk cleanup was the solution but its not. Besides I had the problem from the moment i took the pc out of the box before using the internet.

Can anyone help?

anskyber 15:05 07 Aug 2008

Which Office program did you load?

Are the other programs Vista compliant?

perryhatesvista 15:39 07 Aug 2008

Office home and Student 2007 service desk edition which came bundled with the pc from pc world
All the other programs are vista compatible

mrwoowoo 01:22 09 Aug 2008

In control panel>power options>create a power plan
selecting high performance may give you a boost.
See how that does and post back as there are other things to try.

mrwoowoo 01:30 09 Aug 2008

This looks promising.
Read around the eighth post down onwards, about changing the order of the sata drives and ports.
By the look of the posts following it,it seems to be a common Dell problem.
click here

perryhatesvista 12:56 18 Aug 2008

tried this but it didn't work. dell are telling me i may need a new motherboard, but i don't believe a word they say

theDarkness 03:14 05 Sep 2008

I will guess you have already tried running the software in xp compatibility mode in vista as a last resort? It might also be worth a go in searching microsoft office forums to see if anyone else has had the same problem or found a fix on a similar quad core system to your own. hope it gets sorted! :)

perryhatesvista 11:16 05 Sep 2008

no, i didn't try the xp mode. The problem has been resolved though - Dell fitted a new motherboard and since then its been fine. seems it wasn't vista afterall , apologies to microsoft

chub_tor 14:34 05 Sep 2008

and apologies to Dell too it seems as they were correct even if you "don't believe a word they say."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?