Vista firewall exceptions?

Sea Urchin 18:59 29 Nov 2007

Vista's firewall is not allowing my Canon laser printer to operate correctly - if I turn off the firewall the printer works normally. I have discovered that this is not an unusual problem, as apparently Canon omitted a file from the data which is posted as an exception to the firewall. I am told that I must arrange to exclude the file C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\etc etc etc ending .exe

My problem is (being a Vista virgin) that when looking at the firewall exception facility I can only see a way to Add a Program or Add a Port, and I don't know how I would add a File such as the one I've described above.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

anskyber 22:05 29 Nov 2007

Can you deal with it as a program exception? click here

anskyber 22:06 29 Nov 2007

If not here is how to allow the exe file. click here

Sea Urchin 22:37 29 Nov 2007

I shall not be back on the Vista PC until Saturday, when I will try out your suggestions. They look very promising.

Sea Urchin 15:57 02 Dec 2007

Followed anskyber's suggestion and incorporated the .exe file into exceptions, but still the same problem. However, cured it by turning off the Windows Firewall, and installing ZoneAlarm for Vista Firewall instead.

I also understand that Windows Defender is built in to Vista, but it doesn't seem to be conflicting with ZoneAlarm. Can I uninstall Defender and put in another anti virus and anti spyware program, or would Vista fall to bits!!! We also have Virgin PCGuard, which is causing a problem, so I am definitely uninstalling that.

anskyber 16:32 02 Dec 2007

Defender is an antispyware program and works fine with antivirus programs. I use the free Avast anti virus for example.

You could always disable defender to allow other programs to be used if you are looking for a security suite.

anskyber 16:34 02 Dec 2007

to disable defender open it then Click Tools, and then click Options.

Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Sea Urchin 17:20 02 Dec 2007

I am now happy that I think I know what I am doing! Very grateful for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?