Vista Firewall......

darrenrichie 16:01 12 Oct 2007

I know this has been discussed before but I just wanted to get some more info on this and users experience.
I have used the Vista firewall on it's own for a while but it has never given me any warnings as to what is going out or coming in. Now I know that this could be a good thing but it worries me because how do I know it's doing anything??? I just want to see that it's doing it's job!!
I have put Kerio on and that warns me when something it doesn't recognise comes up. I don't want it telling me everything that is going on but at least I know it's doing something.
Am I being paranoid or is Vista firewall still not a substitute for a 3rd party firewall????
What is your experience with it and has anyone used a online firewall checker to see it's strength?

tullie 16:24 12 Oct 2007

To be honest,you would be better with a third party one.

BigB32 20:18 12 Oct 2007

Hi all I too have just installed vista and I too was wondering about a third party firewall instead of the built in version , I connect through a Belkin 7633 which has a firewall built in so is the vista firewall good enough behind the router firewall.
Any thought comments,suggestions gladly received
Cheers for now

Brian

Ashrich 21:32 12 Oct 2007

I can thoroughly recommend PC Tools Firewall Plus for Vista , it's a free download ( don't have the trial of Spyware Doctor with it ) and runs extremely well , not too obtrusive but does exactly what it is supposed to .click here .

Ashley

darrenrichie 17:49 14 Oct 2007

Cheers Ashley I am going to have a try of that. I am convinced enough to not rely on the Vista built in firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone