Vista drive storage issue

Ken22 22:47 20 Mar 2008

I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this particular issue. I have just recently upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate, so far I have found the experience very good. The one slight annoyance is when I was upgrading (clean install) I was not given or failed to notice that all my programme files and data files are stored in c drive ( should explain I have 2 drives “c” and “d”) in XP “c” held all my program files and d held all my data files (photos, music ect.) How do I fix this so that Vista know where al my data is being stored?

AlanHo 23:00 20 Mar 2008

Create a folder called Documents on drive D: (Case sensitive)
To relocate the document data files to drive D :-

Right click on Documents folder on C:
Click location tab
Click move
Browse to D: Documents
Click Select Folder
Click Apply – then Yes
Message appears - There already is a file with the same name as this location – select “Dont Copy”

Relocate Music, Downloads,Pictures & Videos folders by same method. You can get more detail from the Vista help files.

Do not relocate Favorites – I found that I could not "Add to Favourites" using IE7.

AlanHo 23:06 20 Mar 2008

Correction - Ignore the Don't copy instruction in my previous post if you already have data filed in the Documents folder on the C drive and want to move the files to D: - follow the instructions that appear in the window.

Ken22 23:18 20 Mar 2008

Thanks AlanHo I'll give it a go...

anskyber 16:32 21 Mar 2008

A tutorial click here

Ken22 15:49 24 Mar 2008

Thanks for everyone help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?