Vista-compatible Ad blocker?

Forum Editor 21:10 04 Apr 2007

Someone has asked me for an ad-blocking tool that runs in Vista/Internet Explorer 7.

Does anyone have any recommendation - preferably based on personal experience?

keverne 22:02 04 Apr 2007

Ad Muncher click here works fine on Vista but strangely only if Firefox (or Instant Messenger) connects to the Internet first.
click here

I've placed a shortcut to Firefox in my startup folder on Vista and never see an advert once everything is loaded.

A fully Vista compatible version has been promised.

Kate B 22:05 04 Apr 2007

Is there a reason for not using Firefox? Adblock and the filterset.G updater means you need never see another ad again.

Forum Editor 17:18 05 Apr 2007

I'm not sure about the FireFox situation - I suspect these people are IE fans - but I'll look into it.

crosstrainer 17:24 05 Apr 2007

Adaware will work correctly with Vista, but only if you disable UAC when running it... I understand that they are shortly to bring out a new version. It's ok to disable UAC.. but only for the scan.. then re-enable. It's a question of process identification. Would not advise disabling UAC unless the individual knows the potential consequences of not re-enabling.

Forum Editor 18:59 05 Apr 2007

Thanks, but my job (or at least this part of it) is to advise commercial clients on security issues, and I don't advise clients (or anyone else for that matter) to disable User Account Control in Vista unless absolutely necessary.

Forum Editor 19:21 05 Apr 2007

I've been talking to these people, and although they wanted to stay with IE they've decided to give FireFox a try, to see if it does the job for them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

crosstrainer 19:22 05 Apr 2007

I wasn't advising or advocating the practice..just a workaround.

I also wrote that the idea was, overall a bad one.

Forum Editor 19:50 05 Apr 2007

I know that - I wasn't criticising, just explaining. Perhaps not very well, I'm rushing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?