Vista compatibility issue

LMcG 14:45 27 Nov 2007

I recently installed vista business on a fujitsu siemens Amilo L1300 laptop.

It dual boots with xp pro.

I am unable to use wifi with vista (it works fine when xp pro is running) I get the following message from vista 'Compatibility issue between CPT3990 Mini PCI 802.1 1b/g and Vista' It also states that Conexant Systems do not expect to offer updates to fix this problem.

I have tried using the driver disc that came with the laptop but no joy.

The device manager shows the network controller with a y

LMcG 14:48 27 Nov 2007

I pressed the wrong button! The device manager shows the network controller with a yellow exclamation mark beside it and the following message'This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)' No driver is installed.

ventanas 15:52 27 Nov 2007

It would appear that your built in wireless adapter is not compatible with Vista.

I assume that the laptop came with XP and that you have partitioned the hdd and installed Vista.

Al I can suggest is replacing it with a new adapter that supports both systems.

Or you can try disabling the existing controller in Vista and use an external PMCIA adapter just for that OS. Just plug it in when you boot into Vista.

Ronnie268 16:48 27 Nov 2007

Vista is a pain about hardware, but there are a few fixes from SP1 availabl
Try this:-
click here

LMcG 18:28 27 Nov 2007

Thanks for your help. I suspected as much. I will just use xp for wireless. Ronnie268-the link to sp1 doesn't seem to work. I will leave the post open for a while just in case...

LMcG 21:54 27 Nov 2007

Ronnie-268, I just tried the sp1 link again and it is now working!!??

ventanas 08:43 28 Nov 2007

Lets get one thing straight, Vista Is not a pain when it comes to hardware. It is simply a new operating system that does not recognise certain items that may be of some age, just like all the other versions of Windows. I really am tired of the silly comments about this. All of the hardware I used with XP works with Vista, and there is quite a bit.

Also, unless you know precisely what you are doing its probably just as well that that link above didn't work. Vista SP1 is still in development and will not be released until well into next year. You could well end up with no system at all.

It should be simple job to replace the wireless adapter. It states that it's PCI. Get hold of a guide for your machine and find out where it actually is, and how to change it. Probably just a matter of unscrewing a cover underneath, removing the existing item, and slotting in the new.

anskyber 09:07 28 Nov 2007

I understand that the SP1 in Beta will not allow the final version of SP1 to be installed.

The advice (and observations) by ventanas are spot on as far as I am concerned. I really question the wisdom of encouraging a Beta SP to be installed particularly when the release was only intended to go to selected and experienced trialists.

pk46 10:51 30 Nov 2007

Try using the 'Compatibility wizard click on start then help in search type in 'Compatibility mode and install as WXP like many things in Vista
there hidden away.
This might work it may not thats Vista for you. Windows 7 Vista replacement should be out by the third quarter of 2009.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?