Vista 64bit Back-up

denshed 14:31 14 Jan 2009

I read with interest the recent comments re:32 or 64bit OS, and have to agree that I am very pleased with my new 64bit machine.One thing however is that I am having trouble finding a portable external hard drive to back-up my OS. I have tried a number of manafacturers but without success.

Can anyone provide an answer please.

ened 08:38 15 Jan 2009

I have a Seagate Freeagent pro which works fine.

But I don't use the bundled software as it had loads of problems in XP.

denshed 15:55 15 Jan 2009

Thanks for the response ened.
I have visited the Seagate website where it states that the Vista 64bit OS is not supported by their software in the UK. This is why I have a problem In Vista Ultimate (the version I have) it has a back-up facility and the external hard drives I have tried will back-up the OS without the HD software supplied but I cannot then retrieve it from the F8 boot-up option or,in normal mode.Luckily I have tried this prior to my system crashing otherwise,I would be in real trouble.

ened 16:26 15 Jan 2009

I too have Ultimate 64bit.

Have you considered Raid 1.

Whilst it is not external it will provide you with a mirror should your Hard Drive fail.

denshed 17:33 15 Jan 2009

Thanks ened and sorry for my misunderstanding I thought you had XP not Vista.
As for your most recent response - if I do as you suggest and then my hard drive fails will I be able to use the Raid mirror image to boot my system?

Teaboy 17:56 15 Jan 2009

I have purchased Acronis True Image Home 2009 to solve my back-up problem. Advantage being storage can be CD-r/RW DVD-R/RW discs. Acronis has a very good reputation and seems easy to install and use. (I hope!)

ened 18:20 15 Jan 2009

That is the point of RAID 1.

Everything goes onto two drives so that if one fails nothing is lost.

Personally I didn't use it with this machine. I have a disc for re-installation and all data is backed up to both an internal drive and my Seagate.

Mind you something like Acronis, as Teaboy says, is a good idea because it would take me a long while to set everything up just as I like it again.

denshed 20:18 15 Jan 2009

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I have to say that you have increased my knowledge and am on my way to buy the Acronis back-up as 'teaboy'suggests. If you do not hear from me again you will know it has been successful.

Many thanks ened and teaboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?