Using Readyboost in Vista query

GreyMack 19:32 01 Jun 2007

I have a slight problem with Vistas readyboost feature.
I bought a flash pen 2 months ago and it worked a treat, yu popped it in and it asked if you wanted to speed up vista with readyboost. But now when i insert the flash pen it just opens the folder and shows a readyboost cache, i don't get the option anymore to start the readyboost feature.
I've checked autoplay but it doesn't appear at the bottom of the list under devices.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Vista 32bit home premium
Core 2 Duo E6600
P5N32-E-SLI motherboard
3GB ram

anskyber 22:54 01 Jun 2007

Yes. It's a complex situation but with 3GB of RAM and I assume a dedicated graphics card RAM you were probably wasting your time in the first place.

Vista Home premium will only recognise 4GB of RAM including the RAM in your graphics card. In addition unless your flash pen is optimised for RAM it will perform sub-optimally. For flash to perform optimally it will require a flash which has fast read/write over the whole range rather than as a single event. Many such cards are marked optimised for Readyboost rather than the standard flash devices.

GreyMack 09:02 02 Jun 2007

Yes but it did work before.
It's not so much how well it worked either i'm concerned about it's the fact i now don't get the option to use ready boost as part of the autoplay feature.

P.S. I didn't buy the flash pen to use as readyboost it was bought to help migrate files from old pc to new, it had the added bonus of being a vista approved model.

Why wont it work 11:08 02 Jun 2007

Maybe it has configured itself so it automatically uses readyboost on that drive now. When I put my flash drive in it does not ask me if I want to use readyboost, but I know the readyboost is working. Just a thought.

GreyMack 13:07 02 Jun 2007

Can i ask how do you know it's working?

Also if it's not asking you what you want to do with it, what if you wanted to copy files onto it, if your able to do that then it can't be running as readyboost?

Why wont it work 13:47 02 Jun 2007

You can set a certain amount of space for readyboost, so i presume you can use it for general storage at the same time.

I know its working because it flashes like made every so often, such as when opening programs. It it was working just as a normal flash drive it would either not flash at all, or at regular intervals.

mobileman1953 18:23 04 Jun 2007

open my computer right click on properties of removeable drive you are using for readyboost and you can check from there

Why wont it work 21:00 04 Jun 2007

that's the badger. I couldn't remember how to get to it so suggested the flashing thingy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?