User Profile Service logon failed

marble 10:01 18 Feb 2008

I read a thread that I now cannot find about the above and it reckoned that the 'cure' seemed to be :

1) a registry tweak -sorry very unwilling to touch registry:-)
or
2) F8 on boot up and Startup Repair
or
3) F8 on boot up and System restore if 2) won't work

Have spent a day or so mulling the matter over but need to ask this - if I do a system restore, do I lose the vista updates that have occurred since the date I choose to restore to?

(I seem to have 2 updates that say they cannot be removed - KB937287 and KB93871 - so guess they will still be there).

I was going to try the Startup Repair first and if that didn't do anything was going to try System Restore.

As I am a PC clot as far as Vista is concerned (being used to working with Win98SE), is there anything I need to know first before trying either of these methods?

marble 10:04 18 Feb 2008

Oops - meant to say - I have an admin account and 2 user accounts - it is one of the user accounts that won't let me in.

anskyber 10:58 18 Feb 2008

I would try system restore first from the Control Panel option. Be patient it can take in some cases a long time whilst on the "initialising" screen.

The updates should go but of course will be offered to you in windows updates depending on how your update process is configured.

marble 11:29 18 Feb 2008

Thank you anskyber - restored from Control Panel Option and can get into my logon now - I am so pleased - thank you very much.

I checked the list of installed updates and they are the same as they were previously - I restored to 15th Feb and the updates received on 16th and 17th Feb were still listed.

Thanks again :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?