Upgrading to Windows 7

Neiltoo 10:44 10 Sep 2013

Hi I am planning to upgrade from Vista business to Windows 7

It's an old Dell vostro 200 with an OEM version of Vista Business. I plan to install a new hard drive, upgrade the memory and upgrade to Windows 7.

My question is if I install a new hard drive how will the upgrade version of Windows 7 know that I'm upgrading as vista will no longer be there? I don't want to pay for a full stand alone version of Windows 7. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

lotvic 15:22 10 Sep 2013

Here's 4 ways of doing the install, Option Four looks easy enough click here

lotvic 15:28 10 Sep 2013

Jock1e, bit worried about your link, seems way too cheap, even though on Amazon.

Neiltoo 16:14 10 Sep 2013

Thanks for the replies guys, 2 interesting options there. The key code on Amazon does look a bit too cheap but as you say Amazon to come back to and the reviews seem good.

lotvic 18:30 10 Sep 2013

Beware of Product Keys Sold Separately

With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?