Upgrading Windows 7

MattJones 23:20 04 Jan 2011

Hi Guys,

Quick question as I'm unsure of something!

I'm upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate for my work laptop and I've done a full back-up to my external hard drive i.e all the C: and D: drives as well as a system image and a system repair disk in case something goes wrong using the Back-Up 7 Restore facility.

When I upgrade and the new operating system is loaded, and I restore to everything...will it revert to the old system image and back to Home Premium?

May seem a daft question but I'm pretty unsure on this one, any help is appreciated!

MattJones 23:24 04 Jan 2011

Also, should I choose the Upgrade (and leave it at that) or Clean (and restore my files) installation mode?

As I think my copy of Home Premium is a little dodgy so I would like to wipe any existence of it off my laptop!

GaT7 17:16 05 Jan 2011

It would be best to choose the Clean install, & format the partition before installing Ultimate. This way none of the previous install will be present, which is exactly what you're hoping to achieve. G

ams4127 22:25 05 Jan 2011

I think you will find that all your files will be fine.

By upgrading Home Premium to Ultimate all you will really be doing is "unlocking" the extra bits already on your system.

However, I would certainly take the precaution of backing all your important files before commencing the job.

ams4127 22:30 05 Jan 2011

Try here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?