Upgrading to an ssd (Migrating to an ssd)

matthew12106 15:03 06 Aug 2014

Ok so I need a little help. So I'm currently using a segate 1tb hard drive which has everything on it. I'm upgraing to a samsung 840 evo as my boot drive and key aplications and using the old HDD as a storage drive. There is two things I need help with before I go ahead and buy my new SSD 1. I found my windows 7 install disk here is a pic click here also found the product key. I know it says already installed on your computer on the disk but when I bought it from ebay the description said it would install on any machine which it did but would it install again with the same product key??? 2. After I install windows on my ssd how do I completely wipe my old HDD so I can use it as storage

Thanks for the help

I

matthew12106 15:15 06 Aug 2014

It's meant to say (migrating os to an ssd) but I don't know how to edit after posting

alanrwood 18:33 06 Aug 2014

For more info see my detailed proceedure on click here

Mr Mistoffelees 20:31 06 Aug 2014

" the description said it would install on any machine which it did but would it install again with the same product key???"

Presumably you have an OEM Windows license with your Windows install disk. Once used an OEM license is tied to the motherboard of the PC it is installed on. As long as you are using the same motherboard you are OK.

If you have a full retail copy of Windows, you can install it on any PC providing it is uninstalled first.

alanrwood 10:20 07 Aug 2014

Hi MeckKB

Yes an original install of Win7 will do a lot of what I wrote however it was written as a catch all for people cloning an existing drive or not doing an original install or not using Win 7. It does no harm to check the various points contained to ensure the validity of the install.

chub_tor 16:31 07 Aug 2014

The Samsung 840 evo SSD comes with two disks, one for Data Migration (and that includes the OS) and one called Samsung Magician which allows you to set the SSD up for the best performance.

Great device, best SSD I have bought so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?