Upgrading Soon to Win 7

Khyron 19:13 14 Jul 2010

I am going to upgrade to Windows 7 soon and I'm just wondering how difficult it will be (or how many headaches it will give me...lol !). I am currently running a Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit OS, my PC has a 500GB HD (Pentium dual core 2.50GHz) with 4GB RAM and a P5N73-AM motherboard. What would be the best way to go about installing it. I can back up all personal files and data to my external drive so I'm not worried about that, but will I have to uninstall and then re-install my current programs. Any insight would be welcomed....Thanx

john bunyan 21:47 14 Jul 2010

I had XP SP3 until Christmas. Then I bought W 7. I wanted to use the Media Centre so bought Ultinate, but Home Premium woulld do it. I did run dual boot XP and W7 for a few weeks but soon ditched XP. Imade a copy and an image of my data - my HD was partioned C for Programmes, and F: for data, on to an external HD (basically "My Documents" ) then I also saved my e Mail folders by exporting them. THen I formatted the main HD , doing a clean install of W7 (still with 2 Partitions) Then reinstalled software - bought ATI 2010 and Roxio 2010. You will need to decide what e Mail system, as W7 does not have Outlook Express. I used Outlook 2007. Then downloaded drivers for hardware, then copied "My Documents" to F: partition, and imported e Mail stuff and, "Favourites etc. With hindsight I would not have bothered with the dual boot phase. I thik there are other methods where windows will keep old stuff, but I can only say what I did.MS update advisor will tell you if your hard and software is OK. Allow a day!!

ams4127 21:55 14 Jul 2010

I disregarded all advice and upgraded from Vista 64 to Win7 64. I imaged the drive just in case things went awry. The upgrade went perfectly and all my programmes and applications worked perfectly straight away. I upgraded a few drivers over the next few months and ditched the Vista image.

I have never had a BSOD and the machine has only locked up twice (cured by a quick reboot).

I have a lot of spare space on my HDDs so one day, when I'm bored, I will do a clean install (and dual boot) on a different disk and see what the difference is (if any).

Good luck.

chub_tor 09:08 15 Jul 2010

I have performed in place upgrades from Vista to Win7 (both 32 and 64 bit) on five different machines now and each upgrade has been flawless and I have not needed to use the data backups that I have made. Run the Win7 Advisor beforehand and it will point out any software pitfalls and tell you what should be uninstalled and re-installed afterwards.

Migwell 23:21 22 Jul 2010

Best days work I ever did regarding computers was to upgrade to win 7. I did a clean install on my laptop and did an upgrade on my old tower. After that I bought a new tower with win7 64 bit installed and have never looked back. None of the computers have been any trouble since that day. I also had tried to network two computers with win XP without any success, now with win 7 I set up a home user group and have all three computers on the internet and printing to, two central printers. I would not like to go back to XP or even Vista which gave a lot of trouble. So all I can say is just get on with it you will be happy when you are up and running.

Strawballs 04:45 24 Jul 2010

If you upgrade from Vista when finished you will find a file in documents called old windows with all your settings favourite etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017