Upgrading HDD to SSD and RAM

nodi 09:27 30 Nov 2014

Hello

Recently I've been asking a lot of questions but this website is very helpful, so

I wanna upgrade my laptop change the HDD to SSD and upgrade RAM from 6 to 16 do you think that would make my laptop faster a lot or just a little a bit and are you allowed to recommend me some companies names for SSD and RAM,

Help would be much appreciated people

Thank you.

Gordon Freeman 10:04 30 Nov 2014

I'm planning on doing the same soon and am going for the Samsung EVO 840 (1 Tb), which I recently added into my desktop to replace previous HDD. There are other sizes available at differing prices but these drives have good reviews.

For RAM if you go to the Crucial site for example, it will tell you what RAM you need.

As for speed improvements, based on my desktop performance, the SSD should provide a marked improvement. Win 8.1 starts in seconds with the new SSD.

I'm not convinced that increasing RAM improves speed however.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 30 Nov 2014

Needs 64bit system to use all the RAM

you haven't stated Make and Model so we assume it can take that much RAM

SSD will improve boot times and RAM should speed up most applications.

nodi 10:37 30 Nov 2014

I hvae toshiba satellite l850-b139 laptop windows 7 64bit

alanrwood 11:24 30 Nov 2014

The SSD will make a considerable difference, the ram less so unless using ram intensive programs.

rdave13 15:16 30 Nov 2014

As it's windows 7 originally make sure you have the AHCI drivers selected in BIOS first before a clean install. 6 Gig of ram should be plenty unless you're running CAD and multiple browsers with loads of tabs open, all at the same time.

lotvic 13:46 01 Dec 2014

Don't forget to Enable SSD TRIM Support in Windows 7 and Windows 8 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?