upgrad from XP to win 7 Part 2!

markcomp 07:56 10 Nov 2010

I posted a subject on upgrading an Acer 300 with an AMD 64 processor to Win 7. Lots of v helpful responses, thankyou.
So following on as I am not quite there yet.....
Windows download advisor says that upgrading to Win 7 32 is possible, but Acers website only indicates XP 32 drivers available.(doesnt actually list the 300(?)so looked at the 340 info)
Who is right. Not quite sure why acer would ship an AMD 64 bit processor and presumably compatible motherboard (?) and not have 64 bit drivers available - or does it mean I will have to look for drivers elsewhere....
Last but not least if it is possible to answer this, will the bios drivers be ok for the upgrade, they are dated 12/2009 (click here)
Finally many thanks to all those folks who answer queries like this on these forums, it is a great help.
Mark

a member 08:16 10 Nov 2010

visit the motherboard manufacturer ,if there are any drivers available ,they will have them . also windows 7 comes with a whole lot of drivers covering thousands of hardware scenarios .most PCs that install windows 7 end up not needing any dditional drivers other than printer/scanner maybe.
download belarc advisor (free) ,it will give you the motherboard model ,with that you can track down the important drivers ,my guess is though that win7 64bit will install most of them itself.

GaT7 20:49 10 Nov 2010

64-bit CPUs came out before 64-bit OSes/their drivers. Acer (or any other manufacturer) really need to provide support only what their past laptops/PCs came installed with originally - which I suspect is 32-bit only. I think extending further support to 64-bit is solely at the manufacturer's discretion - i.e. they are not exactly obliged to develop these, unless there's a great demand for them &/or it's economically viable(?).

Anyway, you can determine compatibility one way or another by getting hold of a Win7 64-bit trial version & installing it to see how it does with respect to drivers, etc. Like merlinx, I've found Win7 64-bit will already have the necessary drivers even if one cannot download specific Win7 64-bit drivers from the motherboards' websites. I've been able to successfully install Win7 64-bit on PC motherboards that came out several years ago. I don't know if the same is true for laptops though. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?