Updating bios - is it worth it?

gossylad 20:41 01 Feb 2010

I recently purchased a Buffalo 2tb usb3 external drive and a icy box usb3 pci card. (See 'New usb3 pci card not mounting usb3 external drive' in this forum for more details.)

However, after installing the card in my pcie x1 slot it will let me read everything I put in it which is usb2. But it will not let me mount anything that is usb3.

Will the updates for my bios below make any difference?

My motherboard is Series: LGA1156, Model: P7P55D-E PRO. My current bios is saying it is 1303.

On Asus website I can get these updates:

USB UPDATES:
NEC USB3.0 Controller firmware updater V3.0.2.1 for Windows XP / Vista / Win7 32&64bit (which is what I have)

NEC Electronics Corporation USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.0.17.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL) (which is what I have)

BIOS UPDATES (LAST BIOS VERSION BEING THE NEWEST:
P7P55D-E Pro 0201 BIOS
First release Bios

P7P55D-E Pro 0304 BIOS
1. Fix CPU Level UP may set Vcore too high if OV_CPU Jumper is enabled
2. Fix S3 may fail if NEC USB30 and Mavell 9127 options are set to disabled
3. Fix some CPU's L1/L2 size may not shown correctly

P7P55D-E PRO 0501 BIOS
Support new CPUs.
Please refer to our website at: click here ... uage=en-us

P7P55D-E PRO BIOS 0610
1.Fix system may halt in POST after AC power loss during BIOS update.
2.Fix some PCIEx1 LAN card can't be detected at PCH PCIEx1 slot.

However, when I use Asus Update which came on the motherboards cd I get these updates:

M4A78-PRO-1307 and M4A78-PRO-1501.

What is the difference between the Asus website bios and the Asus update bios? Shouldn't they both be the same for the same product?

Should I download and update my bios to see if the newest version fixes the problem? Never done that before so am a bit wary of trying it!

GaT7 00:03 02 Feb 2010

"Will the updates for my bios below make any difference?"

It might do, or it might not. You'll only know for sure when it completes.

I've always updated with the latest BIOS with no problems.

The latest in your case would be the 0601 version (I just checked at click here). The newest will contain all the fixes that the previous BIOS updates had.

click here & click on the 'Using EZ Flash to Update BIOS' button for detailed instructions with screenshots. You need a USB flash drive (as I don't think using a floppy is an option for you).

Btw, doing it this way is a lot safer than via the Windows utility.

The main thing to remember when doing a BIOS update is letting it do it's own thing in it's own time. In other words do not press any keys or interrupt it in any way, or shutdown the PC while it's taking place. So you'll want to keep away all the little children/pets/distractions for the duration of the update. It'll take less than 5 minutes to complete.

I've done ~20 BIOS & firmware updates & I'm happy to say I haven't messed up so far. I hope it goes well for you. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache