Updates

spark79 11:52 14 Mar 2007

I have Vista Updates ready to install but I'm unsure of something.

The update is
"Update for Windows Vista (KB932246)

Download size: 4.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to address a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Vista. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
click here"

When I go to the linked webpage at the bottom it says
"Note After you install this update, a CD device or a DVD device may not work correctly. If you select the device in Device Manager and then view the properties for the device, you may receive the following error message:
The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)
This problem occurs because a legacy application may install drivers that are incompatible with Windows Vista.
For more information about how to work around this problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314060 (click here) You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

This worries me a lot and I don't know if I want to install this update incase this happens. Do you think it will cause a problem? What happens if I don't install it?

Thanks

crosstrainer 12:09 14 Mar 2007

I have installed this update, and have no problems with either my DVD re-writer or CD drive...I think this only applies to older kit...the term "legacy" implies old. What are your drives and how old are they?

spark79 12:13 14 Mar 2007

It is a new PC (a month old). The drive is
"LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]"

crosstrainer 12:16 14 Mar 2007

i can't see any issues for you with that update, and remember, create a restore point and you can always go back to your previous config. if it all goes pear shaped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?