updated to 8.1 now email add is incorrect cannot sign in at all. pls help

swolstie 13:00 23 Jul 2014

Woolwell 13:23 23 Jul 2014

Is it an old email address?

Woolwell 13:27 23 Jul 2014

Jock1e - I think that the OP is referring to the log in when W8 starts but there is just the thread title so I may be wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 23 Jul 2014

Check caps lock Numb lock etc. is not on before re-entering e mail and password

or

boot from the windows 8 DVD into safemode

1. Repair your System.
  2. Advanced Startup Options.
  3. Windows Startup Settings.
  4. safe mode.

try and login there or create a new user account

swolstie 11:56 24 Jul 2014

Yes it is the start up page so can't get on to the internet at all.

Windows 8 was already loaded on the laptop when a I bought it and it didn't come with a DVD.

You say to check the caps lock not on when typing the email address but the problem is that the email is pre printed on the screen so it cannot be accessed to change it.

Woolwell 20:06 24 Jul 2014

Did you set up the account? Do you mean that you cannot access the laptop at all?

If you set up the account then you must have created the account and password. Enter the password you set.

Can you access your MS account from the machine that your are currently using?

rdave13 20:09 24 Jul 2014

If your password contained the symbol " @ " try shift and " 2" instead. It might have defaulted to USA keyboard.

rdave13 20:13 24 Jul 2014

On another PC check your email and if you can log in. If so create another email to what is showing on the log in page of your PC and create a password.

Once confirmed it is working, boot up the problem PC and try logging in with your newly created password.

rdave13 20:43 24 Jul 2014

Another method to try, on the login screen, where it shows the incorrect email addy, press and hold the SHIFT key and click on the power button (icon on screen). It should take you to the advanced screen. Select the ' Troubleshooting' icon then Advanced Options and System Restore.

Hopefully, in Sys Restore screen, it will show your name twice there, so that you can try to log in to your account two times. I don't know which will be the original but I guess the lower one. When/if successful then restore to before the update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?