unfamiliar mouse/touchpad arrows

Florio 17:08 01 Nov 2007

I have just bought an Acer Aspire 5105 laptop, and now find myself having to get used to both a touchpad and Windows Vista; I'm not sure whether my 'problem' is caused by Acer, the touchpad, or Vista.
When moving the white arrow with the touchpad to open programs, use the control panel, select items from a drop-down menu etc, it often changes into two small black arrows facing opposite directions (i.e., up and down, or left and right) within a tiny vertical or horizontal box. When this happens, I cannot choose either of the two directions indicated, but must move my finger on the touchpad again so that the white arrow returns.
Could someone explain firstly if this is an Acer, Windows or touchpad characteristic and what it is meant to indicate, and secondly, what action I should perform when I see the small black arrows. I have been unable to find any information on internet or in the Acer user manual.

Ashrich 21:48 01 Nov 2007

What you are experiencing is the touchpad scrolling , the edges are sensitive areas for scrolling up and down and from side to side , if you just move the cursor in the middle of the pad it should be Ok , or else you can disble the scrolling in the " mouse " section in Control Panel

Ashley

Florio 22:04 01 Nov 2007

Many thanks, Ashley.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017