Unable to watch DVD's on my Toshiba laptop!

theOtter 11:44 02 Jan 2008

Help! This is really beginning to bug me. I've had my lovely Toshiba laptop for over 4 months now, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. However, I sat down the other day to watch a DVD, and Windows Media Player, along with WinDVD, (also tried nero showtime) failed to playback, citing that i am unable to view protected content.

I realise the DVD's i am trying to watch are copy protected, which of course stops me from copying them etc - but i simply want to watch these on my laptop!

Running Vista - can anyone help me on this?
Thanks and Happy New Year all!

Totally-braindead 11:52 02 Jan 2008

Windows Media Player won't play it and thats normal but WinDVD should play it ok.

What specifically does it say? Is there some sort of error message, does it say it can't read the disk or something?

theOtter 12:09 02 Jan 2008

MP gives me the standard error message, but winDVD says (from memory) that my current display settings cannot support protected playback. I've tried tampering with the display settings in control panel to no avail.

Totally-braindead 12:13 02 Jan 2008

Perhaps try altering the display settings in WinDVD itself rather than the desktop will help.

Without knowing what the error message actually is its impossible to say what the problem is.

You could try another media player, there are some free ones that work but it might have the same problem.

Jim_F 21:55 03 Jan 2008

Is this DVD region specific ? - if it is you may need to use device manager to set your DVD drive to the right region. There are only a limited number of times you can do this so be careful but unless you buy DVDs in region 2 (Europe) and region 1 (USA) it shouldn't be a problem !

Hex314 16:00 04 Jan 2008

possible video problem with the codec when using nero or other dvd software is that their codec takes over or has been allowed but not installed by using this click here

you will be able to locate and select if any are installed it has a recommended selection and is easy to use.

mazuk 10:36 05 Jan 2008

You try re-installing media player and all the other players you got could be a longshot but try downloading new gfx drivers.

jjss 15:02 05 Jan 2008

I have a 3 month old Toshiba Laptop running Vista. Have a look in the folder on your C drive named "Toshiba". In that folder you find another folder named "Drivers". In that folder you should find the folder "WinDVD" in which you should be able to re-install WinDVD. The Toshiba Recovery Disc will continue to replace this folder every time you do a system recovery (which I've had to do several times due to fiddling about as I learnt about my new 'toy').

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?