Unable to open Internet Explorer

covkitty 20:39 13 Jun 2008

I have been updating a friend's Dell 1721 Laptop; he currently has no internet access, so I have downloaded the outstanding Vista updates, installed AVG free 8.0 and updated Windows Defender, then scanned the whole system. Problem now is that when I click on IE a window opens and before anything else can happen an error message appears saying 'Internet Explorer has had to close down'. I have disabled Protected mode, no result, then tried to disable DEP but it wouldn't let me. Help please, IE was working before I started the updating etc - should I install SP1?

brundle 21:14 13 Jun 2008

Create a new shortcut to Internet Explorer, right click it and select properties, add

-extoff

to the end of the filename, with a space between it and iexplore.exe

It will run IE with no add-ons. If IE works check Tools/Addons to see what you may need to remove.

covkitty 16:28 23 Jun 2008

I sddenly remembered that there was a similar problem on my desktop - IE would suddenly close the page I was on for no apparent reason. I checked for any add-ons and found that I had inadvertently downloaded Google Toolbar. I removed it, and no further trouble. So on the laptop I removed both the Toolbar and Google Desktop - hey presto, IE and everything else working perfectly. Maybe there is some sort of conflict between Vista and Google?

brundle 18:30 23 Jun 2008

Perhaps, I never use the Google Toolbar so I can't provide any insight. Thanks for getting back with the (probable) solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017