Unable to install Word

ened 17:22 21 Nov 2007

At the moment I wish I had never installed Vista!!

I have been using Office XP for several years.

I have the main Product key and I have a product key for Publisher, which is an optional on the second disc.

I install the entire thing and all is fine. I go to open Word and it asks for a product key. I have never used one before and a friend tells me this is Vista.

The thing is that I am really careful about storing anything I might need again and I definitely have not used a product key before.

Is there a work around?

Mike10C 17:57 21 Nov 2007

Ened, I am not sure that Vista is the issue. I have found in the past that if I installed Office on another computer or re-installed it on the same computer, it would ask for a product key or activation by Microsoft. I have noticed that this only happens with the first of the Office programmes I opened. It also seems to happen less with Power Point than Word. So when I installed Office onto Vista I opened Power Point first and I did not have to activate this it time.

ened 18:06 21 Nov 2007

I'm not sure what you are saying.

Are you suggesting that If I open Powerpoint first and then Word (Which is the only part I really need) I won't need a further product key?

If that is the case I will go for it but I don't want to install it again and find it fails so I need to be clear.

Terry Brown 18:19 21 Nov 2007

I think I remember reading that only versions of Word 2003 and later will run on Vista.
Terry

Pine Man 18:22 21 Nov 2007

Exactly the same happened when I had Office 2000 Professional. Most of the programs were on disc 1 and needed a product key. When I installed Publisher from disc 2 a product key had to be entered again.

Nothing to do with Vista. This happened on both Windows 98 and Windows XP

Mike10C 22:37 21 Nov 2007

Yes ened, based on Office 2002 which I am using, it did install without need for key or activation when I opened Power Point the first time..

ened 06:58 22 Nov 2007

Thanks very much Mike10C.

Spot On!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?