Unable to install Mobile Phone

ened 15:28 27 Dec 2007

I gave my wife a Sony Ericcson phone for Xmas.

When I tried to install the software, according to the instructions, the installation failed.

So I downloaded the software from their site (40meg). I installed it and for some reason it ran two installations and took ages. When it was complete my machine was not running properly, amongst other things it had kicked out my IE settings.

In addition, although it recognised the phone, I was unable to do anything, like upload or download.

So I uninstalled it and went to do a system restore - for some reason the installation had created 32 Restore Points.

I have asked this in the Vista Forum because the model has been out for about 18 months and I am wondering if it is a Vista problem and if I am missing a trick somwewhere. I should add that the download was labelled: For XP/Vista.

ened 17:52 27 Dec 2007

Anybody?

fishface113 20:32 28 Dec 2007

Not the answer you want but I have a motorola phone and I have never been able to get software for vista to work. Maybe the phone manufactureres just arent that interested yet.

keith-236785 09:30 29 Dec 2007

all i can suggest is either

try again but cancel the autorun and browse the cd, right click on the setup icon and choose "Run As Administrator"

OR try the compatability mode and run it as a Win XP setup (right click again then properties / compatability,

worth a try i guess

ened 11:24 29 Dec 2007

My wife has a Verrrry old laptop and she is going to try to install it on that. It is running XP but I notice the install requirements need 500meg free space.

I'm not sure she has that.

It messed up my machine so badly it took me an hour or more to get it back so I am reluctant to try it on mine again.

I can't understand why it needs to be so complicated - it's only a mobile phone which takes pics and plays music.

ened 15:08 29 Dec 2007

It won't install on her machine so I am going to have to try again with this one.

I can't believe connecting a telephone to a computer can be so complicated.

Thanks paperman27 I will try but I am trying to understand why Vista made it so complicated. It went straight onto my wifes machine but then decided the os was too dated. So it would appear we have one out of date and one which is too up to date.

ened 11:09 01 Jan 2008

"I can't believe connecting a telephone to a computer can be so complicated."

It isn't!

I haven't used any additional software, merely plugged it in and used it as an extra drive, which Vista found.

I thought I had better report this as there are bound to be some others, who are as stupid as me, out there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?