Unable to change HDD drive letter.

jason_mic2000 07:31 02 Apr 2017
Answered

Ok so I have an Alienware 15 R2 which has a 128GB ssd on drive C and a 1TB hdd on drive D. The laptop does not have a DVD drive but when I started up the laptop today it showed my 1TB hdd on drive E and was showing a CD drive on drive D. So I couldn't even change the hdd back to drive D. What should I do? Coz I got a lot of games and other big applications on the hdd. Any help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:46 02 Apr 2017

Assuming you must have plugged in a USB drive recently?

tr changing the CD drive to F: this will leave D free and then you can change the HDD to D:

jason_mic2000 10:28 02 Apr 2017

I tried it but the thing is I don't have a CD drive.. So I can't really change the drive letter of the CD drive as it doesn't show up in in Disk Partition Manager eventhough it shows up in This PC..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 02 Apr 2017

so what shows up in disk management?

if the cd drive isn't shown there then D: should be available

jason_mic2000 12:44 02 Apr 2017

Disk management shows the OS drive as drive C and the data drive as drive E. But when I try changing the drive letter, D does not show up as an option.

jason_mic2000 13:10 02 Apr 2017
Answer

Ok it's working fine now. Turns out that the portable hotspot I had connected via usb to charge was acting as the CD drive. So I just unplugged that and was able to reroute the Data drive to D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)