Trying to understand W7 Events Log

spuds 10:53 05 Oct 2014
Answered

I started to use this computer only a few months ago, and in that time, i have found that on occasions the computer shuts down unexpectedly during any prolonged absence.

On return, a simple re-boot brings the computer back to normality, with an error message stating the computer shutdown unexpectedly. Microsoft offers the option to find a solution, but this turns out to be negative.

Looking in the Events Log, there appears to be a lot of error or warnings, throughout every day. Today for instance, 3 error, 5 warnings have already appeared in the Event Log since about 9.50AM. One usual warning seems to have a tie with Microsoft Office 2010, with the report CVHSVC Event ID 100, Task C Client...

Having done an internet search, I seem to have various solutions, including overheating, which is leading to further confusion.

Does anyone have a possible solution or checking procedure, that might find any problems, that are appearing in the Events Log, or the possible reason for the unexpected shut downs.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:00 05 Oct 2014

How to use event log

is it shutting down or going into hibernate? suggest you look in power options and disable everything (select never for all options) so HDD doesn't stop etc.

spuds 12:47 05 Oct 2014

Fruit Bat

As I mentioned earlier, the computer shuts down unexpectedly. No hibernation.

It doesn't do this all the time, only occasionally.

Checking the power options, the list seems to suggest (1) Turn off display 10 mins (2) Put computer to sleep 30 mins. I have made no adjustment to these figures since commissioning the computer. Microsoft had already pre-set these figures.

Neither of these options seem to apply, because the computer completely shuts down, then requires a reboot. On reboot Windows give the option on how to restart the computer, which I leave to restart 'Normally'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 05 Oct 2014

Won't wake from sleep is a common W7 fault - seems as if it has shut down.

Reset power options "put to sleep" as never.

spuds 15:35 05 Oct 2014
Answer

FB - Just 'put to sleep' the computer, and I'll see how that fairs over the next few days, and see if it was the problem.

Your help was greatly appreciated, thank you.

spuds 14:54 07 Oct 2014

Update

Been approximately about two days now, and haven't had any further problems since using Fruit Bat's suggestion.

Still keeping my eyes on things, just in case :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone