Transferring one folder only of emails from Vista

sheila.weston 14:49 18 Jan 2011

I have seen the thread at click here.
Is it possible to transfer one folder only from windows mail via a 'key' (sorry, what do you call them?)? I want to transfer my husband's emails to his new laptop.

We have separate tiscali email addresses, but the email all comes in on my Vista laptop.

We do have a network, but I am completely flumoxed as to how to do this as I do not want to find all my email going to his machine.

john bunyan 17:56 18 Jan 2011

This should tell you how to do it:
click here

john bunyan 17:58 18 Jan 2011

PS see "Backing up individual items" in the above

john bunyan 18:02 18 Jan 2011

Forgot to ask what eMail do you use - I used to have Outlook Express on XP but now have Office outlook 2007. On both ther is an option to "tell" the PC which eMail user name you want to download, so maybe you set up his to come on his PC and yours to come on yours.

john bunyan 18:04 18 Jan 2011

In Outlook this is in Tools/Send and recieve

sheila.weston 21:09 18 Jan 2011

Many thanks.

I use Windows mail on VISTA. nothing, as yet, on the windows 7 machine.

Yes, I see the Tools> send & receive. I have selected it and then clicked on 'Philip's accoint'. Another window opened and closed, but i couldn't see what it said!. I assume that it is a backup/copy.

The directions imply that the file is in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\. But I can't find it and think that I change this last year. There is a foder called emails in my e:\ drive, but it has only two files in it called windowsmail.pat and windowsmail.messagestore. Perhaps the backup is somewhere else. Any ideas what it would be called?

I'll have another look later........

john bunyan 22:07 18 Jan 2011

You nay have to impliment the "Show hidden files" option in Windows explorer to find it. I have moved mine to a folder "My Outlook" in "My Documents" as all my data is on a different partition.In your case, without Outlook, the file will be a bit differently named.I will look again tomorrow...

sheila.weston 22:39 18 Jan 2011

I think that I have progressed! By going into Tools>Options>Advanced> maintenance> StoreFolder I have found the 'Philip' folder with lots of *.eml files and a winmail.fol file. Is it OK to copy this folder to a memory stick and thence to the new laptop?

What do I do next? I don't want to connect up to the new email program and find that I am getting all my own email getting through as well.

a member 08:44 19 Jan 2011

open windows mail, click tools then accounts, select philips mail account, and on the right hand side of the window select export.
in the navigation pane (on the left) select desktop , and save the .iaf file. .
on the new PC, google for "microsoft windows live mail" , and down load it ,its free .
it is however an online email client but it works very similar to windows mail etc .
during setup it will ask if you want to create a new account or import an existing one ,you can now use your saved ,iaf file to transfere all your account details to windows live , once done you can set it up to your liking and check its working ok recieving and sending , then when your happy you can simply go back to your vista machine and remove the account from there .now you will still have your owm mail account working on your PC and your hubby will have his . niether being capable of interfering with each other.
to retrieve old emails for him simply go to my computer ,select your active drive and navigate to users/Philip (in your case)/App Data/Local/microsoft/windows mail/Local folders.... you will see a list of all the folders that contain all of his mail in the form of .eml files . you can save these and open them at a later date , ofr simply check them and delete them .
IMPORTANT: Make sure you do this before you delete the account as mentioned above . or they will all be lost .
finally you will not be able to complete the above navigation steps without first enabling show hidden files . to do this click on organise (upper left in all folders ) select folder and search options .select view and few places down the list are the options to enable " show hidden files folders and drives.
good luck .

john bunyan 09:12 19 Jan 2011

I think merlinx has given you a comprehensive answer, more suited to Vista and Windows Live mail. Good luck!

sheila.weston 22:40 19 Jan 2011

Yes, I agree. That is fantastic merlinx. Thankyou very much. I'll mark this as resolved. I'll work on it at the weekend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone