Transfer speed (to and fro pendrive) problems

BushidoNeedsHelps 09:28 29 Jul 2014
Answered

I was trying to copy some files from SanDisk Cruzer Pop 16GB ( Im not sure whether it has USB 2.0 or USB 3.0) to a Lenovo Y510P through the USB 3.0 port.

The transfer speed from pendrive to laptop = roughly 6~8 MB/s ,

then i tried from from laptop to pendrive

The transfer speed from laptop to pendrive = roughly 1~2MB/s

Why are these speed so slow? Even if the pendrive having USB2.0, it shoulnt be that slow too right?

SeiyaIkki 12:36 29 Jul 2014

Hi, this is quite common unfortunately and has nothing to do with the interface (USB) speed but rather with the flash memory speed. The USB 2.0 has a maximum theoretical speed of 480 Mbps (Megabits per second) which is 60MBps (MegaBytes per second, 1 byte = 8bits). But that is the “speed limit”, not the actual “speed” things necessarily work at. The bottleneck in this case isn’t the interface but the actual flash memory chip that is slow (also cheaper) than most.

Also, it’s quite common for write speeds to be different from read speeds, with the read speeds being quite superior to write speeds.

So, unfortunately, what you describe is nothing unusual or strange.

BushidoNeedsHelps 14:01 29 Jul 2014

So it is because of the slow flash memory speed that my pendrive has? I'm thinking to buy a WD passport , if in that case, would the speed be this slow?

wee eddie 14:53 29 Jul 2014
Answer

Buy an USB3 WD Passport, you wont go wrong with that and will be able to go USB3 in the future.

Lots of small files tend to be slower than large Files, in terms of MBps. But there are any number of cinch points, including the possibility that many older PCs have both USB and USB2 Ports and few of us can remember which is which ~ They look the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?