Toshiba laptop problems

recap 19:33 23 Dec 2008

Hi all,

My partners laptop running Vista home Premium has a habit of turning it's self off for no reason I can find. I have checked the power settings for everything I can think of. I did change the times on all of them as they were all set to turn off after 5 or 10 minutes, which I thought was far too short a time for inactivity.

Windows update is also playing up. It's been set to update but ask before installing. This has changed to download and install. I checked for updates earlier today of which there were 8. After downloading them I rebooted to install them. I then checked the update log, were to my astonishment there were 17 updates installed for today???

Any suggestions on either of these problems will be greatly appreciated.

recap

sunnystaines 20:57 23 Dec 2008

one set of updates will generate another on a out of date system, as the first lot need installing before the second lot can be installed.

is it running on a duff battery on plugged into mains.

getting too hot if an old laptop.

sunnystaines 20:58 23 Dec 2008

on should read or, those tablets playing me up again.

skidzy 22:58 23 Dec 2008

This isnt an Advent by any chance is it ?

I had a particular Advent that had shutting down issues,i could not fix it and even posted a thread about it.Next step was back to PCW and they could not fix it,then the warranty run out and PCW did not want to know.
This was then taken up with DSG International,who again not interested.....in the end i sold the lappy cheaply and the guy fixed it....apparently it was a bios setting.

skidzy 23:05 23 Dec 2008

What a fool i am Recap...sorry just seen the thread title..Lol...DOH !!

FatboySlim71 23:19 23 Dec 2008

I suppose it could be a faulty fan, i.e. with it not working the laptop could shutdown to protect itself from overheating.

Can you confirm that the fan is working?

recap 14:59 24 Dec 2008

sunnystaines, the laptop is always fully updated. The battery is always taken out as she always uses the mains. The laptop is only about 4 months old and to answer FatboySlim71 question the fan/s are working. Further to your question FatboySlim71, the laptop can shut down after just 10 minutes. This is why I checked the power settings first, and adjusted them.

I did turn off McAfee when I tested the laptop but it still shut down for no reason I can work out.

There was one little problem with the touch pad in that is was far too sensitive. I adjusted the sensitivity but that isn't the problem as the laptop can still turn off on it's own.

ventanas 22:28 24 Dec 2008

Hi recap, this problem can be very frustrating, I had exactly the same issue with a Dell laptop. It actually went into hibernation). I did everything you have mentioned, and even reformatted and reinstalled, but nothing worked. I never managed to find the cause, and eventually ditched the laptop. I had thought it was something peculiar to Dell, and am now a bit worried because I replaced with a Toshiba. So far it's been ok.
As for the updates, I've had this happen on a few machines at the office. I can only assume that the change was contained in a recent update.

sunnystaines 10:14 25 Dec 2008

4 months old I would take it back to the shop.

chub_tor 10:18 25 Dec 2008

I have found the Toshiba support to be excellent click here and you can post questions on their forum as well as browsing for problems with your exact model. I have a Toshiba P100 and have had several questions answered by their experts.

recap 17:16 25 Dec 2008

ventanas, I am thinking down the lines of doing a full reinstall but taking off Vista and installing XP Pro, which my partner and I prefer. I am surprised that the Dell laptop had the similar issues, I have worked with Dell machines for several years now and have never had these issues with them.

sunnystaines, I have suggested that it go back to the shop to my partner, and If I/we cannot fix it then that is the path we will take.

Thanks chub_tor, I will take a look at their support.

For now I will close this thread, thank you all for your input, and I hope the rest of your Christmas is peaceful, and a Happy New Year.

recap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017