Is there a REAL iTunes/iCould equivalent for PC?

kevin.j.walke 22:31 07 Mar 2014

It has not been a great week with regard to technology with two significant problems: one was iPad related and the other PC related. However, the outcomes have been very different.

On Monday I dropped my iPad (doh!) causing its screen to shatter and, on speaking to Apple, it required a (refurbished) replacement. The iPad was taken into our local Apple store on Tuesday afternoon and by Tuesday evening, having been asked for and input my iTunes password, I was watching the iPad reconstruct itself into the familiar item of technology that I had dropped. With the additional input of a couple of apps passwords and leaving it to run overnight, by Wednesday morning it was as though nothing had happened. My iPad was as good as new. Job done, and a very pleasant and relatively stress-free operation (although the £249 cost hurt a bit, but I did drop it after all).

Also on Monday, my PC Seagate Backup software which came with the 3Tb drive, informed me that a software upgrade (to version 3.0.34.0) was available. After setting a restore point I thought nothing of accepting the upgrade and set it running. Disaster! The PC has not been the same since. Immediately it started to run extremely slowly (and I mean VERY VERY slowly!) and backups stalled (without notification) at 8%.

I have spent many hours since on the Seagate Support Facebook page, the UK Seagate helpline trying to sort the problem out which has required more than one uninstall/reinstall along with reboots etc. And from 4pm today (Friday) I am running check disk options following the Seagate Helpdesk suggestion. So far (after six hours) it has processed over 1.5m files (although the progress bar has been stuck around the 15% mark for most of that time). I realise this is a backup drive, but there are only around 850,000 files in total on the other drives and the backup isn't set to cover anything like all of them. Me-thinks there might be a problem.

However, whether I manage to resolve the Seagate Dashboard problem or not (and finally we get there!) my question is this:

QUESTION: Given the above two very different experiences, one with a PC and one with Apple, and with the latter being far more serious than the PC issue, is there any service/software/protocol that exists that is able to easily, with almost zero user stress and hassle, replicate what Apple managed in a few hours (i.e. completely reimaging a replacement iPad to its former glory with almost no interaction from me) for a PC? That is to say a backup service/protocol that you don't know is there and when you need it, is a seamless and easy solution that completely repairs the damage with almost zero user input?

lotvic 23:29 07 Mar 2014

I use Acronis True Image and make backup images (.tib files) of C: drive. My Documents and Data are kept on a separate Hard drive and a backup copy of those is kept on another separate Hard drive.

To repair any damage (or replace the C: drive with a new one) all that is needed is to boot from Acronis CD and overwrite C: with the image.

Acronis and similar programs can be scheduled to run/set to backup and run in the background.

john bunyan 18:19 08 Mar 2014

Have a look at this thread: iTunes synch

Also look at iMatch : I match

This costs, I think, about £20 but then synchs your I tunes across various platforms. I tend to keep my PC as the "master" since the music folder can be over 25 gig, but my grand daughter iPad has only 16 for all uses, so she has a playlist for the iPad on the PC which has about 1200 songs which can be changed from time to time, and sets the iPad to only synch that playlist.

john bunyan 18:22 08 Mar 2014

PS I do back up the whole of my data, including music, photos etc using Freefilesynch, to an external drive.(Including iTunes)Easier than using imaging ,which I only use for system and programme back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?