System Restore points disappearing

CLONNEN 07:55 23 Mar 2007

I have a multi-boot system with ME, 2000, XP and Vista on four separate partitions.

Whenever I create a System Restore point in Vista it disappears after I boot into XP.

I did a Google Search and it told me there were two solutions to this :

1. Bitlocker Encryption

2. Use TweakUI to hide Vista partition from XP

Well I tried TweakUI but the Restore Points still disappear from Vista. Bitlocker is apparently only available in Vista Business or Ultimate editions - I have Vista Home Premium.

BurrWalnut 14:41 23 Mar 2007

It's a known problem, have a look click here

CLONNEN 19:42 23 Mar 2007

Here is a list of what I have tried so far :

In XP's Disk Management I right-clicked on Vista partition and selected Change Drive Letter and then selected Remove to unassign the drive letter.

Disabled XP's System Restore on all drives and set the two Shadow Services to Diabled in their Properties from services.msc - MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy

Neither strategy worked - Restore Points still continue to diappear after XP has been booted.

CLONNEN 19:46 23 Mar 2007

Also tried renaming volsnap.sys to volsnap.bak so it couldn't load during bootup - caused a blue STOP screen when I tried to boot XP.

So in summary I cannot hide the Vista drive and I can't stop the volsnap.sys driver from being used during bootup.

What about this drive encryption thing that Bitlocker does. Is there any other software available that will do the same thing on Vista Home Premium?

This problem is not confined to multiple
partitions I have 32 Bit Ultimate on a single partition and I have still lost all my System Restore Points on a number of occasions. I have also found that Vista is prone to developing corrupt partitions with alarming frequency, although I have to admit that I have not had this problem for a couple of weeks now.

anskyber 16:50 25 Mar 2007

The reason, which it seems is not fixable, is that on a dual boot set up when you boot into XP the system wipes out all restore points created by Vista.

The explantion is XP does not recognise the format of the new restore points, assumes them to be corrupt, deletes them and creats new XP versions.

CLONNEN 13:23 28 Mar 2007

Is there any way of forcing Vista to store the System Restore points on the secondary hard drive?

Would XP still delete them?

anskyber 15:44 28 Mar 2007

The answer is I do not know, I'm sorry.

ventanas 14:08 29 Mar 2007

According to Microsoft's own book - Vista Inside Out - there is no way to prevent this. It is advised that you stay out of XP altogether if you suspect anything may be wrong with your Vista setup.

hello some reading here click here
and you can reduce disk space here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?