SYSTEM RESTORE MISSING IN WINDOWS 10 - WHERE IS IT

Lemur 17:42 15 Jun 2016

AM I ALONE IN THINKING THAT WINDOWS 10 IS OUT OF CONTROL? IT LOOKS TO ME THAT IT IS LIKE WHAT I HAVE HEARD ABOUT VISTA WHEN IT CAME OUT. LUCKILY I MISSED VISTA AND WENT STRAIGHT FROM XP TO 7! NOW I AM IN WINDOWS 10, I AM COMPLETELY LOST AND AM GETTING DEEPER AND DEEPER INTO THE BROWN STUFF!! MY ORIGINAL QUESTION: HOW DO I GET MY SCANNER ICON BACK FROM ITS POSITION IN THE TASK BAR? IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS ALL I HAD TO DO WAS A SYSTEM RESTORE, BUT THAT FACILITY SEEMS TO BE EITHER LOST, OR HIDDEN SOMEWHERE BY MICROSOFT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SORT ME OUT IN LANGUAGE FREE OF JARGON AND ABBREVIATIONS. I HAVE ALREADY ASKED THE FORUM TO HELP ME FIND MY SYSTEM RESTORE, BUT GOT NO RESPONSE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. B.

compumac 18:02 15 Jun 2016
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 15 Jun 2016
  1. don't shout by typing in capitals

2. type system restore in the search Box and windows will give you the option to create a restore point.

wee eddie 18:43 15 Jun 2016

I still haven't managed to find the Search Box!

Forum Editor 18:50 15 Jun 2016

Transferred to the Windows Help forum from Tech helproom.

Please don't type everything in upper case - it makes text much harder to read, and on the internet it is regarded as shouting.

Govan1x 20:09 15 Jun 2016

click on the start menu and just type system restore. There is no box.

Or right click the Taskbar and choose Search then tick show search icon.

Lemur 22:32 15 Jun 2016

Hello all. Firstly, sorry for shouting! No joy so far, but will continue to work on it tomorrow. Can, hopefully, help Wee Eddie: On my computer, which to me seems to differ from everybody elses, the Search Box is bottom left corner of screen at the end of the Task Bar - good luck. B

Lemur 23:01 15 Jun 2016

Sorry Eddie. I could have been a bit more helpful - Right click on an unused bit of the Taskbar/select Search/Search Box. The box should then appear where I said. B.

BRYNIT 23:07 15 Jun 2016

In Windows 10 the search box is on the task bar next to start. On the task bar click on search the web and windows or the magnifying glass if you have changed it to an icon and type in what you are looking for.

Govan1x 21:16 16 Jun 2016

Ok looks like you have had no luck with the easy ways of getting it so try, Run. Type in msconfig then press ok. open tools and scroll down to the very bottom and you will get system restore.

Lemur 01:22 17 Jun 2016

Thank you Govan1x and others. I got as far as System Properties and found that all 3 drive protections were Off. Three boxes were greyed out: System restore, Create and Apply. However, when I tried to configure the drives, no way, that I could fathom, would they turn on. FYI the other day somewhere, I found that I had one restore point for about a month ago and I have used System restore in living memory. Thanks again. B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone