System restore has re-set defaults

xquest 22:47 22 Dec 2010

I am slowly transferring from XP on an old PC to Windows 7 Pro. on a new one. The new one has a small solid state drive (SSD) for OS and programs and a large disk for data. Today I ran a Win 7 system restore to get back to a clean situation and found that the desktop had been re-set to default values. Several icons have gone, the mouse is double click instead of single, and so on. An icon-restore program has gone (but is still in the Download folder).
And now, every time I re-boot I get a message that a temporary profile has been loaded - and to get back to 'my' desktop I must log off and re-boot. Which does nothing, apart from removing the gadgets and resetting everything to default again.
Yes, I know I shouldn't be using System Restore with an SSD, but that is not because of any software restriction it is to stop the SSD wearing out. and is only a temporary measure whilst I load software. So what do I do now ? Restore from a disk image taken several weeks ago or ???
My opinion of Windows 7 is not good ....

gengiscant 08:16 23 Dec 2010

I personally would start afresh and reinstall Windows 7.
But make sure before you do that you are prepared.
Like you I have an SSD and on Tuesday transferred my mobo with new RAM and new SSD to a NZXT Phantom Red case.
Like you I just have my OS and programs on the SSD with everything else on a separate drive which is is then backed up to a networked drive.
I keep a folder on that drive which has all the latest drivers and all the programs I tend to use often.
I also use Ninite click here which makes installing most of the more popular programs a doddle.
I have also gone from 32 bit to 64 bit with the extra RAM I purchased and so far everything I have installed works fine with 64 bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?