switch on delay on my laptop

BrianStewart 03:23 08 Jul 2014

when my laptop is off and i switch it back on, it takes 50 minutes to become fully functional. i had it repaired in february because of viruses etc, or so i thought. this problem only started about 3 weeks ago, i informed the shop that repaired it and they said the gaurantee was only for 3 months. incidently they installed a security system called AVAST, i was wondering could this be the problem, as there have been other niggly problems since it was installed

tullie 07:19 08 Jul 2014

Is Avast the only antivirus on your computer?

alanrwood 08:30 08 Jul 2014

do you have any real evidence that this problem is connected with the previous repair. If not then forget it. Avast is a well respected security program so is unlikely to have caused the problem. If you feel it is then disable or uninstall it and see if it does solve the problem. If not then reinstall as soon as possible. If yes then try another security program. There are several around ie AVG, Avira etc.

Try booting in "Safe Mode" (Tap F8 when you start the boot). This boots with a basic set of drivers.

If it boots OK my first line of attack would be to go into msconfig and untick all the start up programs and see if that helps. If it does then re-enable each one individually until you find which one is causing the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:14 08 Jul 2014

possible problems with your hard drive may be windows doing a disk check.

it is possible that your antivirus system is doing a scan at boot up which will cause a long delay.

install CCleaner and use the startup tool to see what programs are running at windows start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?