Strange New Folder

Pine Man 16:24 04 Jul 2008

I am running Vista Premium Home Edition (very happily!)

A folder has recently appeared called {ec094836-9b50-4303-a4ec-c2e15de21a23} in C:\Users\MyName.

When opened it contains ‘wcerndis.cat’ a 103KB file of the type ‘Security Catalog’

I am not sure what created it or if it is necessary to keep it.

Anybody any ideas?

sunny staines 17:17 04 Jul 2008

I have ultimate just check my pc not got your folder my be linked to your security software.

i think it might be related to Microsoft ActiveSync\Drivers directory but not 100% sure

Pine Man 18:26 04 Jul 2008

Thanks for your response.

I did update the drivers for active sync recently to do with my satnav so that may well be the answer. Do you know if it is necessary to keep the folder?

if you have unsecapp.exe running in process manager, it's something to do with the sync, it's meant to help programs run with vista with better stability. but as i said i maybe wrong.

Pine Man 20:25 04 Jul 2008

I have got unsecapp.exe running so the 'strange new folder' is best left alone?

sunny staines 20:32 04 Jul 2008

i would tend to leave it too.

yup leave it alone.

gazzaho 05:49 05 Jul 2008

Just a question, I thought Vista done away with the need for ActiveSync with Windows Mobile Device Center, am I wrong? I used ActiveSync on my old XP desktop machine with my iPaq but I don't use it on my new machine, as Mobile Device Center syncs with it just fine.

Pine Man 08:23 05 Jul 2008

Thanks guys. Leaving it well alone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?