Static Broadband and Vista

krisone 13:19 04 Oct 2007

I have been told by tne TelstraClear technicians that Broadband cable, (static broadband) is incompatioable with Vista. Every now and then I loose my IE and then it repairs and comes online again. I have had my Broadband go down for up to 24 Hours at a time but with testing it was a fault,( a short to earth) in the Co-ax cable but thats not the full problem, ever since I upgraded to Vista I have had nothing but problems. I have still got my old CPU with Windows Home XP SP2 but it to won't install updates untill I fix it, but good for playing games offline.Regards from N.Z., the Home of the Rugby World cup winners The Mighty All Blacks, Go All Blacks.Regards Krisone.

Ashrich 23:17 04 Oct 2007

Are you using , or going to use , a router/wireless router ? What was the basis of their saying it won't work , did they give any reasons ? If you wish to use a static IP address and DNS server on your PC , all you should do is to go into " properties " of your connection in Network and Sharing Centre , double click on IP Protocol v4 and put in the IP address , subnet and default gateway and the DNS server settings for your ISP , instead of having it set to obtains these settings automatically , if using a wired/wireless router the settings are put into the router instead . Static address and subnet that TelstraClear give you into IP address and subnet , gateway the same , Primary DNS server is 203.96.152.4 secondry DNS server is 203.96.152.12 , see if that helps .

Ashley

krisone 20:26 16 Oct 2007

Yes, I have from the very beginng manually inputed my gateway, IP, and DNs plus alternative address's,otherwise how would I connect to the internet as I have cable Broadband. The issue seems to have resolved itself as the cable was replaced and the old one found to have had a 'nick' in it and was only just making contact because moisture had caused it to rust and the outside braiding(the earthing wire on the connectors) was nearly completely severed . so when I gave the cable a 'shake' occassionaly the modem would fire up, This was obviously the problem,as everything has been excellent since then,Regards and thankyou for your input.
Kris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017