Start up silliness.

gavioli1 23:53 08 Feb 2015
Answered

I have Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium. On computer start up, I am faced with a message that tells me that there is a file interfering with start up. I press OK and start up continues for a few seconds, before the message appears again. I click OK as before and have to repeat the action for 15 to 20 times before the computer is ready for use.

When I click on a shortcut the same message appears as follows: (Programme name).exe-Bad Image. It then goes on to say that the programme is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. It refers to:

C:\PROGRA~2{FFB51~1\cote.dll

Once I have clicked on OK and got rid of the message, every programme works perfectly well apart from the odd re appearance which is easily removed. Over the past 3 months, I have tried as much as my simple mind can cope with and got nowhere. I have not reinstalled Windows 7 as I will lose a lot of files and that is very much the actions of someone who has given up and is overdoing a repair situation. I would very much appreciate any help for this computer dummy.

dont use one 09:57 09 Feb 2015

first thing you should do is back up the files before you lose them all !! why when you have problems you don't back up is only crazy backup and then reinstall windows

alanrwood 10:54 09 Feb 2015

Run a scan for malware/virus with whatever prog you use. If not successful let us know what ones you used.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 09 Feb 2015

Yes looks like malware or a virus partially cleared byyour protection software.

What antivirus / antimalware protection do you use?

gavioli1 09:25 10 Feb 2015

All my files are backed up every week or so on a seperate drive. The protection that I use is Malwarebytes (Premium) and I do a full scan every couple of days and it always gives the system the all clear. I also delete the quarantine items weekly. Every month I defragment and I do regular computer clean ups. It really is so frustrating. I have used the back up but the problem has persisted.

alanrwood 10:08 10 Feb 2015

MalwareBytes is not an anti-virus program and will not find any virus on your system. It only looks for Malware. Why not try installing one of the free anti-virus programs ie Avast and running a scan with that.

HondaMan 14:36 10 Feb 2015

I run AVG Free on both my pc and my Mac and IMHO it is very good on both platforms

robin_x 15:31 10 Feb 2015

Did you uninstall everything to do with you Hama Card reader and leave it unplugged?

click here

Goto Control Panel / Uninstall.

Have you tried a System Restore to before attempting to install the reader?

Press Windows key and R and type rstrui.exe

System Restore does not affect personal files, just programs and settings.

gavioli1 21:42 10 Feb 2015

Thank you all you kind people for your advice. I have a lot to do and currently very little time in which to do it. I`ll try everything suggested in due course. Thanks again. Gavioli1

gavioli1 09:43 11 Feb 2015
Answer

Alanrwood, you must be some kind of genius. I tried your suggestion and it worked a treat. Everything is lovely and clean after the file identified 21 items of virus. Having been detected, it was the work of a moment to clear the bugs that have been troubling me since before Christmas. Many thanks both to you and everyone else who has tried to help.

The problem that I complained about, no longer exists. Thanks again folks.

alanrwood 10:49 11 Feb 2015

Glad it sorted things out. Just ensure whatever antivirus program you used has "real time" protection enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017