spyware protection with avg 8

dth 22:11 30 Apr 2008

as avg 8 free includes spyware protection do i need to keep windows defender running?

sinbads 08:43 01 May 2008

There have been several threads regarding issues, particulary spybot S&D. Its not a good idea to run any two active spyware programs at the same time as this could cause conflict.

I'm not sure if AVG8 will conflict with defender as i don't use that, others might ppost if they have had problems.

Personally i'm happy with AVG8, If there is a conflict between AVG8 and defender and you wish to keep defender then you would need to revert back to AVG 7.5

anskyber 09:12 01 May 2008

Not an answer to your question but I emailed Avast (well the makers Alwil) and asked the same question about their latest version which includes a spyware engine. (as opposed to a scanner)

Their reply was do not run two full time anti virus programs (fine that is understood) but you can run two full time spyware programs.

In the end I did not, I did not feel confident with their answer.

Covergirl 12:41 01 May 2008

Had several hours of AVG8 and W. Defender both running at the same time and no conflicts so far . . .

Vista Home Premium, Acer T180 5000, 2GB RAM and a pair of crossed fingers :-)

dth 16:25 01 May 2008

Thanks for that. I will leave them both running then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?