SP1 and Realtek AC'97 Driver Issue

rsignals 00:03 03 Jun 2008

At the moment SP1 is not being "offered" to me because I have the RealTek AC'97 driver problem (well known). Does anyone have an update - or even better a workround? Google, Realtek and MS sites seem to have have all gone quiet on the matter..

crosstrainer 08:32 03 Jun 2008

It seems that Realtek are not writing an up to date driver for the older AC97 chip. It also caused problems with XP SP3, which Microsoft and realtek declined to support.

I found a workaround for the XP machine, but have not had the same issues with Vista, as I have the newer High Def. chip in both Vista rigs.

I guess your only option is to disable the onboard sound and purchase a fully Vista compatible sound card:

click here

Make sure that the card you choose is Vista compatible. The company in the link are very easy to deal with, and you can ring them prior to purchase to confirm suitability.

if you have realtek drivers uninstall from add/ remove programs, then uninstall ac'97 from device manager (inc driver) then reboot let vista install driver, run windows update and hide realtek update, leave an hour, run update again it should offer sp1, after install you can add a third party driver.
realtek wouldnt be my first choice.
on default driver everything should work fine anyway.

rsignals 12:25 03 Jun 2008

Thanks for the advice guys - two clear lines of attack! The first is going to cost (not much I grant you) but is almost guaranteed to work; the second not guaranteed but free. Guess I'll try the second first and see where that takes me.

Adman2, any suggestions as to what 3rd party driver might be suitable?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. (I'll let you know how things go this evening...)

you can get slimmed down versions, to be honest with on board sound, if the above works, i would leave it with the super slim vista driver.

Pine Man 18:39 03 Jun 2008

Be very, very wary of 'Vista Compatible' sound cards. They may be Vista compatible but not SP1 compatible.

A lot of new Creative sound cards are still using drivers which SP1 doesn't like.

rsignals 12:16 04 Jun 2008

Update. The adman2 solution did not work for me - but many thanks anyway. The problem occured at the reboot stage when vista obliging somehow "found" the ac'97 device and drivers and mananged to helpfully re-install them! Result: no SP1 offered!

My initial thoughts are that I cannot have removed/uninstalled them properly. I will re-engage on the problem later today!

Thanks to you all for your time and suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?