SP1 preperation/audio problem

aine 21:48 03 Apr 2008

Reading through the so called problems, that windows updates expressed. My audio driver will not be compatable with sp1.I have on my system SIGMA HD AUDIO CODEX 6.10.55140. Required by Sigmatel is STAC 92xx C Major.I downloaded this from Dell, my sound would not work, to restore sound I had to delete it.I contacted Dell they said it would be sorted by Microsoft. MS said it was either the OEM or the driver manufacturer. Sigma website states it is upto the OEM.?
I have now contacted both MS and Dell again, awaiting there reply.
My question is, has any body been through this loop? and have they any ideas how to solve this problem, if I wait for the automatic update,will MS be able to solve this, with the update, or is my system doomed to remain as it is? Regards all aine

anskyber 22:04 03 Apr 2008

I took the risk of downloading the SP1 from MS Downloads on the understanding if it went wrong I would uninstall the SP1 and go back to the original.

I thought I had a sound card problem but actually all worked well.

ventanas 11:02 04 Apr 2008

Sigmatel do not support any of their products, it's up to the PC Vendor to sort things out, click here

I wouldn't hold you breath though. I have the same problem. Maybe Dell will sort it in time, and perhaps MS will. My breath is very bated.

I may eventually take the route anskyber has done, after making due use of Acronis first.

aine 16:30 04 Apr 2008

Many thanks anskybar, Dell sent me an email, telling me to download the new driver, this I did, my sound stopped working! Microsoft then phoned me, after chatting he sent me a link to the download site,for SP1, this I downloaded, 1.5hrs in total. downloaded ok but no sound I uninstalled Dells suggested driver ,reinstalled the old one sound now good.
The only thing that appears to be missing is "vsp1cin.exe". This to delete old files and sp1 backup. It is not on my PC anywhere.Perhaps you may have the answer to this poser. I would be grateful for your further help AINE

aine 16:38 04 Apr 2008

Please note, my memory has increased by 13GB, since this installation. perhaps that is why I cannot find the missing exe!

anskyber 16:59 04 Apr 2008

Vista SP1 integrates a tool named vsp1cln.exe situated in the system32 folder.

To run it open a command prompt and enter vsp1cln.exe

It takes a minute or two.

anskyber 17:02 04 Apr 2008

A further explanation. click here

aine 17:04 04 Apr 2008

Found it okay, question is now do I delete it?

anskyber 17:05 04 Apr 2008

Have you run it to delete the redundant files?

aine 17:27 04 Apr 2008

no not yet, I am a little scared in doing this, just in case all is not well

anskyber 17:29 04 Apr 2008

I ran mine after a week to ensure that theSP1 pack worked OK. If you have just installed SP1 it is wise to wait.

The uninstaller is so tiny it's not worth bothering to get rid. You may want to use it later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?