SP1 not updating

Sea Urchin 10:33 22 Aug 2008

A friend of mine uses automatic windows update - amd the other day she was offered the SP1 update, which she accepted. However, when checking her PC the next day I discovered that the update had failed, although it appears there had been no notification of the failure.

On checking the update history I see that this update has been offered eight times since mid-June and has failed each time. Is there any reason why this should happen and any suggestions as to how we may remedy the situation?

Many thanks

anskyber 11:18 22 Aug 2008

Check to see if her updates settings include the two boxes for recommended updates and service updates as well. If not check and see if any drivers are there then try again with SP1.

Sea Urchin 11:27 22 Aug 2008

Thanks anskyber - will check on my next visit on Tuesday.

Sea Urchin 22:46 02 Sep 2008

Visited today, and when checking for updates there was one waiting to be installed - as expected it was SP1. It took just over an hour to download/install and needed a lot of patience, as at times there were 10 or 15 minute intervals when it appeared to be frozen. But it was eventually successful. Looking at the update history I counted 14 times that SP1 had tried unsuccessfully to automatically update, so it seemed to need me to "hold its hand" to finally install.

Thanks again anskyber for your thoughts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?