SP1 Install

skidzy 10:27 29 Mar 2008

Hello everyone,i thought i would just post my experience of Installation of Vista SP1.

Download and installation took around an hour on a system with 2GB of ram,E6300 cpu,basic graphics GeForce 7300.
Everything went smoothly and i am seeing some benefits.

No driver issues.
Quicker shutdown.
Docs open a lot quicker
Navigation around the system including regedit is very quick.
Photos seem to access a lot quicker.
Bootup is a wee bit slower at the moment but maybe the Superfetch will learn in time.
Files transfered to disc/flashdrive seem quicker also.

Time will tell and if anything crops up,i will post back here.

anskyber 11:09 29 Mar 2008

Useful feedback and it mirrors my experience too.

Pine Man 13:13 29 Mar 2008

Took 20 minutes approx to install and I got the 'successful' message.

It slowed everything down including boot up time.

Sometimes trying to delete things froze the computer.

Belarc Advisor did not work properly.

Security Center gave false information.

It messed up my sound card settings.

On the plus side my 4GB RAM was recognised BUT for me the only satisfactory resolution was to uninstall it.

Uninstallation causes a problem (acknowledged by Microsoft) in that it leaves you with a WAN miniport in Devices which is not needed by Vista (non SP1) and it cannot download the correct driver for itself. It cannot be easily removed.

Still I really like Vista and my PC fairly flies without SP1 so who cares?

polish 14:49 29 Mar 2008

i have installed sp1 on my main computer and is working fine even reading the 4gb of ram instead of reading it as 3gb but for the life of me i cannot get it to load onto my laptop and as pineman left me with
the wan miniport problem so have give up for now

BurrWalnut 15:58 29 Mar 2008

Do you know of this so-called remedy for the WAN Miniport problem?

Go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’.
Type netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport (note the spaces) and press Enter.

polish 16:23 29 Mar 2008

thanks BurrWalnut worked a treat

peter99co 20:43 31 Mar 2008

My reinstall of SP1 has caused Windows media player to hang after a Rip. I uninstalled SP1 because of this.I have tried again and problem still exists. I notice that the SP1 creates a new wmp .exe progam so the fault must be in the downloaded software. I cannot return to the working version can I unless I uninstall?

peter99co 22:24 31 Mar 2008

In the bottom right of the player.This message is showing and is the result of asking via a right to play a track. The track is highlighted in blue and has not begun to play yet.What is the player doing? I have as above reinstalled SP1.The task monitor is showing wmp running and using 32% of cpu.I will leave it a while to see if it stops normally.

Spiny 08:57 01 Apr 2008

I for one would welcome a poll of Home Premium users who have installed SP1 via the updater on the question of the effect on overall performance: Better, Worse, Same.

I am reluctant to install SP1 as the most important thing to me about Visa Home Premium is that it boots up in 61 secs and closes down in 14 secs. I simply do not have the time to trouble shoot any problems.

corporal53 20:14 01 Apr 2008

I am using the Windows Vista Ultimate and when I go to install SP1 it tells me that I need an English Version of Windows Vista, which I have already and will not continue with the installation. Any ideas. Many thanks.

Guybrush1 13:39 02 Apr 2008

Check which language packs you have installed and remove the ones that are not supported under the 5 languge version of the service pack. (You only need English)

Uninstall them 1 - 2 at a time or you may find uninstallation fails

Then try to install SP1.....hopefully it will now work.

Cheers

Guybrush1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone