SP1 22nd February for all.

a member 10:27 10 Feb 2011

Announcement yesterday ,SP1 will be available to Technet/MSDN subscribers on the 15th with a general rollout taking place on the 22nd .
build number is 7601.17514.101119-1850. the same version that leaked a few weeks back .completed in late december it was signed off mid January and leaked shortly after . no issues detected .

KremmenUK 11:16 10 Feb 2011

I'm MSDN but I think I'll wait for it to auto update.

Forum Editor 23:13 10 Feb 2011

it doesn't contain anything particularly exciting. If you regularly take the Windows update files you will already have most of the content, which is a collection of fixes that have already been released.

Otherwise, there will be support for server-side facilities that will only be of real interest to network administrators.

My advice is to follow KremmenUK's lead.

a member 08:35 11 Feb 2011

I agree FE , its only a collection of the already released hotfixes and patches ,along with remoteFX and dinamic memory ,that should make life a little sweeter for those who like to take advantage of virtual technologies.
nothing in it to be shouting about ,and why would there be ,Windows 7 is already remarkably stable ,and a far better OS out of the box than any previous OS has been .
either way it will install for most who have thier updates set to automatically install, on or soon after the 22nd .
I only posted as there seem to have been a lot of speculation regarding this release .

ams4127 21:46 16 Feb 2011

So, am I right in thinking that, if one's machine is fully up to date with all previously released patches etc., the SP1 update will be very small?

Is it worth while installing at all?

a member 08:14 17 Feb 2011

Yes if you have your PC up to date it will be small but there are still patches and one or two small tweeks to system files that improve system performance ,although many will not notice any difference .
its not just a compilation of previous releases of patches and security updates ,you should still see a few mb of update involved even if you are up to date.

ams4127 19:43 17 Feb 2011

Thank you. I'll just get it as an update when it appears.

KremmenUK 07:15 21 Feb 2011

Even though I said I would wait I downloaded the MSDN version and installed it on Saturday.

Not noticed any difference apart from the version number now being 7601.

Hardly surprising given that it's mainly a rollup of pre-released anyway.

GaT7 20:10 22 Feb 2011

SP1 is now available for download click here. G

GaT7 20:13 22 Feb 2011

Direct download if required click here. G

GaT7 10:34 23 Feb 2011

May be relevant for some...

"Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center" click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017