Soundcard problems with Windows 7

Nick Sellick 14:04 27 Feb 2010

Hi,
I have recently installed Windows 7 and it refuses to acknowledge my soundcard. I have a creative soundblaster X/FI Fatality model no 680460. I have tried downloading drivers, but still get a little icon saying no Audio output device installed. Any suggestions before I try and find another sound card.
thanks
Nick

john bunyan 15:22 27 Feb 2010

I am not sure if it was coincidence but my Creative XFi sound card failed when I switched from XP to W7. Although device manager said it was ok, no sound came out. The speakers also failed, and I wondered if some sort of "negative feedback" had blown part of the soundcard circuit. Replaced the sound card with Creative X Fi Audio and new speakers, W7 drivers downloaded and all is well.

GaT7 15:24 27 Feb 2010

Is it this one click here?

Where did you download the drivers from? Try these at Creative click here.

Does Win Update offer Creative/sound drivers?

Also see Creative's 'Troubleshooting Sound Issues on Windows 7' click here.

Btw, I think you'll find the part number is SB0460. G

Nick Sellick 18:55 27 Feb 2010

Tried all the above to no avail. can anyone recommend a cheap,W7 compatible soundcard? Can't seem to get the on board sound working either!
thanks
Nick

GaT7 19:04 27 Feb 2010

Does Device Manager have any exclamation marks at all - anything related to sound?

What's your motherboard make & model number? Perhaps the latest drivers from Realtek will work - that's if onboard sound is Realtek-based.

Something is wrong somewhere, & a new sound card may not the answer. I mean don't buy one, but first borrow one to test with if you can.

I've got both onboard & Creative X-Fi cards working in Win7 (32 & 64-bit) with no problems.

If all fails, then consider the cards I suggested in this thread click here. G

Nick Sellick 19:30 27 Feb 2010

Thanks Crossbow 7. I have managed to get the onboard sound working. Various updates and fiddling.
Thanks again.
No good with X-fi though, still I have sound, that'll do for now.
Cheers
Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache