Sound recorder states "audio device can't be found

User-DE0FD75A-D8BD-4CF8-91A89B975CB6753A 11:58 15 Jul 2007

Hi Gurus,
I have a Dell 9200 PC running Windows Vista Premium. I can successfully use "Speech Recognition" with a microphone plugged into the microphone front socket and my speakers will play my music CD's. When I select "Sound Recorder" from the programme list and press the red button to record via the microphone however a window pops
up to advise me that" An audio device acannot be found".
My Sound Window informs me that my "High definition Audio device is working and the little blue lines on the side respond to my voice volume.
I'm sure there is an easy explanation for this dilemma but for the life of me I can't find it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated please.

Thanks,
Aged P .

Jake_027 13:26 15 Jul 2007

its a pain isn't it? While I haven't found a direct solution, I have found audacity will do the same job fine click here . If you want to export as mp3 you will need to install the lame dll which can be found click here Download both, record something, then if you want to export as mp3 go to file>export as mp3 and audacity will prompt you for the lmae dll

hope this helps

Jake_027 18:49 19 Jul 2007

Thanks Jake. If I get no success with "sound recorder I will certainly take your advice. I don't like paying for things which don't work however so I'll keep on the trail for a bit longer. Aged P.

Aged P., please keep to the thread so in future if people have a similar problem they can see how the problem was/was not solved. Please take this as friendly advice, it is not intended to sound angry! :)

Audacity is free, so you don't need to worry about paying anything! Having read your post again, I remeber something I did. Open control panel and select classic view on the left. Look for an icon that says "Realtek HD Audio Manager". double click this, click the microphone tab at the top and at the top there should be an option to increase and/or boost recording volume. Thats how it is on my acer, so it may be worth a look.

Thanks for your help Jake. I'm a bit new to this Forum lark, apart from being ancient, so I'm still making a few errors. I don't have a "Realtek HD Audio Manager" icon, so I wasn't able to go down that track but I did eventually download "Audicity" and as you said it is a lot more effective than "Sound manager".
Thanks again and happy Foruming.
Aged P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone