Slower Broadband speeds after updates

HHGTTG 08:53 08 Jun 2014

This could be a long story but I will make it brief. I have two laptops running Win 7 and which I use alternate months. Another older laptop was bought many years ago, with Vista installed and I now use this to 'experiment' upon as I am too nervous doing things on my everday ones. I got the Vista one up and going again last year for my sister but she never uses it and so this week thought I would mess around with it. I checked its WiFi BB speeds and got almost 16Mbps from it (same as the other two). I then decided to upgrade IE8 to IE9 but couldn't as SP1 was not on it. This I duly did but was then told I need SP2 on it which I duly did and all went to completion and so was able then to upgrade to IE9. I then checked the BB speeds but but found it to be lower now with about 10Mbps being about the max I could get - no big deal really, though. I therefore installed the latest WiFi network drivers but it hasn't really made any difference. Can anyone explain why there should be this variation on this laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?